Congregation Agudath Sholom 301 Strawberry Hill Ave | Stamford, CT 06902 | (203) 358-2200 | www.cas-stamford.org

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Rabbi Ehrenkranz!

I owe Rabbi Ehrenkranz my Jewish life. I cannot describe how much he has helped me, how much trust he had in me; he was so old and I was so young - but that didn't matter!
I wrote him an email from Germany, I was absolutely lost and out of hope, I wanted to convert and the Beit Din here in Germany was too orthodox to even answer my letters - I had been waiting for four years, learning, praying, going to every shiur, and there was no hope left for me to convert here in Germany. Then I wrote that email to him, and the only thing he answered was "How can I be of help?"
I called my husband, hysterical, and answered him. Told him my story, just as it was, and he told me to come over and convert - if only I had two letters of Rabbis that would underline my wish and make sure that I was really honest. Which I was! And I got those letters!
So me and my husband and our two small children flew to NY and drove to Stamford, and I had been learning Torah until the very last minute, to make a good impression.
And then the moment was there, we met Rabbi Ehrenkranz in our hotel, he talked to us for a few minutes, and then I had my little son sing "Mode Ani" to him (which I actually sang to him every morning); and I think that this incident made him sure about me being serious.
 
Then we had a conversation with the Beit Din, which seemed to be ok; we were allowed to bathe in the mikve - and then I was Jewish. I'll never, ever forget this moment. But what was even more important was that after that Rabbi Ehrenkranz kissed my forehead and said "we need people like you".
 
This gesture was something that I would never have imagined to happen, and I try to live up to his expectations. We have four children by now, Benjamin, Talia, David and Jonathan!
 
I will never forget this, and I thank Rabbi Ehrenkranz for this gesture, too late, but I hope this will reach his wife and children.
 
Thank you.
 
Katharina Liel
 
 
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please add your thoughts about Rabbi Ehrenkranz